To make a long story a little shorter. When he had about 2 miles left I decided to head to the finish line and wait for him. We waited and waited. I was getting worried that something had gone wrong when someone one ran up to tell me that Robert had passed out 500 ft from the finish line. I heard that someone had collapsed, but thought it couldn't be him. Emma and I took off running, by this time the ambulance was already there and parked a little farther away. I felt like I was running in slow motion. We finally got to the ambulance. There were a few people standing outside and Robert was already inside. I got their attention and asked if he was ok. They said he was and let me go inside. When I climbed inside they said he was awake and probably just dehydrated.
He was coming in and out and they kept having to wake him up. He knew where he was, but didn't remember not finishing the race. They said they were going to take him to Logan Regional hospital which was about 45 mins from where we were. While I was in the abulance I called Robert's brother in Layton and they said they would meet us in Logan. I had to drive Emma and I there in our car. Luckily, Robert's brother Nathan happened to be near Bear Lake on a bike ride from Evanston with some of our friends from college. He met up with me and drove us to the hospital. When I arrived Robert looked a lot better and said he felt fine By the time I got there they had already ran a few tests and then we just had to wait for the results. A little while later the Dr. came in and said that Robert had a Long QT on his ECG. In simplest terms this is a period of time in the recovery of the heart beat. If it's too long it can cause your heart to go into an arythmia and then you pass out.
So, then they transfered him down to Ogden Regional Hospital to meet with a cardiologist. It was good to meet with him and get more information. Long QT can be caused by a lot of things it doesn't necassarily mean that you have this syndrome where you need medication and other treatment. They did lots and lots of more tests. We spent the night in the hospital and the next afternoon we were released with a plan to go to the UofU hospital for a cardiac MRI and go to the Cardiologist's office and get a 24 hour heart moniter. After those tests were done the next day we went to see and Electrophysiolgist who studies and deals with the electrical currents in your heart. He said the previous day's tests were normal. The basic diagnosis is they aren't really sure. As long as he doesn't pass out again, he should be fine. If he does then we will go back for more tests. He has been perfectly fine since and was perfectly fine before so we are hoping that it was a fluke and all of this occured from dehydration and the stress on his body from the marathon. It was crazy, but along the way we were blessed with such wonderful people to help us. Robert's brother Carl and his wife Laurie took care of Emma the whole time, and also housed us and fed us. Robert's brother Nathan and his cousin Jared came and hung out with me during the MRI and then took us out to dinner. We were very blessed to have friends and family close and willing to help. Thank you guys so much! Here are pictures from our trip.
At the resteraunt Emma was able to play a little bit. She loved this big bear!
Getting ready for the race!
Emma before the race. She's not a morning person. :)
Emma cheering on her Daddy!
Running the race!
At the hospital in Ogden.
The rest of our summer has been great! More posts to come soon!

3 comments:
Wow! I had no idea this happened! So glad he is ok! SCARY! Emma looks so cute! Ha ha! I love her morning hair and face. :)
I'm glad that everything turn out well. Hope the rest of your summer is going great.
glad he turned out okay. *knock on wood* i'm still impressed by him running.
Post a Comment